Tuesday, August 4, 2015

First Day of Kindergarten


I don't care how cliche it sounds, this day came way too fast! But look at that boy's face. So excited! 

On Friday - Grant's last day of preschool/day care - I would have told you I was expecting his first day of kindergarten to be bumpy. Because on Friday when Grant came home from his last day, he seemed fine...until I asked him to brush his teeth. He started crying, saying he couldn't do it. I knew something bigger was going on. So I asked if he was upset about leaving preschool. Oh man! He cried harder, begging to stay at his "old school". We got him calmed down and then had to head to the elementary school to meet Grant's new teacher. Quite a few kids from his preschool would be going to his elementary school...and we found out that not one was in his class. But he seemed to handle that well, knowing that he would still see them.

So yesterday morning, there was not an ounce of nervousness in this child. He was SO excited to go to kindergarten. He couldn't wait to wear his new backpack and carry his lunch bag. And he even sat still for some pictures :)


We decided to take Grant to school at the time school starts so we could walk him to his class (instead of using the before school program on his first day). He was so proud of himself walking into school.


We got to walk Grant to his class, get him settled and see his new classroom which we'd not had the opportunity to do yet. 

Putting his backpack & lunch away
Please forgive the blurriness of this picture...I was
barely holding on at this point
Already settled in and coloring!
I only cried a little! And I managed to not let Grant see me, I was worried that he would get nervous if he saw me upset. But I got myself together to say bye to him and he barely even noticed when we left. 

Last year & this year
Grant had a great first day, he was so excited telling us about it. We had read Pete the Cat: Rocking in my School Shoes the night before. He said he drew Pete the Cat in art class and when Husband asked him what else he did at school he said he was "rocking in my school shoes!" And when I kissed him good night and told him I was so glad he had a good first day, he said "And I'm going to do it again tomorrow!" which is at the end of the book. 

So far, so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...