Monday, April 20, 2015

Fun with Fluffy Stuff

Confession: I love Pinterest. And I've gotten sooooo many ideas from there! (Not all worked out well, of course, but still.) Ages ago I saw "fluffy stuff" on there, pinned it, and forgot about it (source: Play Create Explore). I have no idea why I re-came across it but I picked up the few ingredients for it the next time I was at a store and decided to save them for a rainy day.

Literally. The week after Easter I think it rained just about every day. My sister had sent Grant a bunch of stuff, one thing being a foam airplane that he was dying to fly outside. Every day on his way out the door he'd ask to fly the plane that night after dinner and we would tell him "Yes, if it's not raining" and every night it rained. Poor kid. So one of those nights I surprised him with Fluffy Stuff. To say it was a hit would be the understatement of the year!

That's all you need!
  • 2 - 16 ounce packages of corn starch
  • 1 can of shaving cream {foam}
  • a big bucket or bowl
I used all store brand ingredients ($3-$4 total). I did buy the bucket thing ($5) because I didn't think I had a good container for it. The only thing is that the "stuff" had a tendency to sneak out of the handle holes but it really wasn't a big deal.

Here's what you do:
  • Empty your corn starch into the bucket:
  • Empty the entire can of shaving cream into the bucket:
  • Let a very happy and excited kid mix it all together and play!
    Do you see that smile? He was so excited.
Right after he went to town with the mixing, I got out a spatula to help. Grant immediately shouted "I WANT TO DO THAT! I WANT TO DO THAT!" and I just let him go to town.



Monster trucks got involved.

And there was just a whole lot of happiness.

He played with this stuff for an hour and a half, only stopping because it was bath time. When Husband told him he needed to get ready for his bath, Grant replied "Um...I think I'll play for a bit longer." Which, as you can imagine, didn't go over well. That aside, I was happy that this stuff worked and to see how much fun he had with it!

Notes/Suggestions:
  • I always lay down a large towel under the container when we do activities like this or the indoor sandbox
  • I stored the stuff in air-tight container for future play.
  • I think this would be great outside but it was an awesome rainy day inside activity.
  • In the link where I got this "recipe", she colored hers and let her kids have a "snowball fight" which would be so fun! But Grant had a blast just playing in it too and making his own little Monster Jam rally. 

Skip To My Lou
Linking up for
Made by you Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...