Monday, March 17, 2014

New Recipe: Bacon Cheese Burger Casserole

I actually tried this recipe a while back but am only now getting around to posting about it. I had been combing through my old issues of Kraft Food & Family and stumbled across this recipe for Bacon Cheese Burger Casserole. It's a bit outside the box for me as far as casseroles. Almost all the casseroles I make have chicken in them. I just don't cook with beef with that much. I guess that's what made me want to try this. Well, that and I live with two burger lovers who I thought might enjoy something like this (and they did).



Ingredients:
  • 1 lb. ground beef
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1/3 cup ketchup
  • 2 Tbsp. yellow mustard
  • 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • 8 slices bacon, cooked & crumbled
  • 4 cups (1/2 of a 32 oz. pkg) frozen tater tots
Directions:
  1. Heat your oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Brown the meat with onions in a skillet and drain. Stir in ketchup and mustard; spoon into 9-inch square casserole dish (that you've sprayed with cooking spray).
  3. Top with cheese, bacon, and tater tots.
  4. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until casserole is heated through and the tater tots are golden brown.
Recipe Source: Kraft Recipes


Notes/Suggestions:
  • I'm not a fan of chunky onions in my food so when I can help it - such as in this recipe - I use onion powder.
  • Shocker: I used more than one cup of cheese. I also used a few extra slices of bacon. Sue me.
  • I was initially put off by mixing the ketchup & mustard into the meat. I have no idea why since that's pretty normal on a burger but it weirded me out. But you know what? It was good. And not an overwhelming ketchup/mustard flavor either.
  • The recipe says to use frozen tater tots and that worked out fine. I didn't come across any uncooked potatoes (a turn-off for sure) but in the future I think I'll thaw them. I like my tater tots crispy and I would have overcooked the casserole to get them up to my crispy standards.
  • Dishes like this make me think "What do we have with it?!" because I don't feel like its enough all by itself. So I served it with salad but some veggies would be good too.
  • Easy weeknight or any night meal. It could even be made the night before so you can just pop it in the oven when you get home. Good stuff.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...