Saturday, February 12, 2011

New Recipe: Chicken Tetrazzini

Yesterday Nate came home after a very long week (for both of us) away on business. I figured that he would probably be tired of eating out so I wanted to make him something yummy for dinner. I got this Chicken Tetrazzini recipe from my friend Henri - who was also the provider of the yummy Pork Tenderloin recipe. She's made it a few times for our work luncheons and it's always so good, I figured Husband would like it too. And I was right. He had two big helpings and then I walked into the kitchen to catch him eating straight from the casserole dish with a fork. I guess I'll be making this one again.

I altered the recipe slightly so I'll give you the original and put my alterations in my notes/suggestions.

Chicken Tetrazzini

1 box (7 oz.) thin spaghetti
1 jar (6 oz.) sliced mushrooms, drained
1 large onion, diced
1/2 cup butter or margarine
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked
2 (10 oz.) cans cream of chicken soup
2 cups sour cream
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese

Break spaghetti into 1-inch to 2-inch pieces. Cook in salted water until tender. Drain. Saute mushrooms and onions in butter. Cut chicken into 1 to 2 inch pieces. Combine chicken with spaghetti, mushrooms, onions, soup and sour cream. Stir and turn into a buttered dish (2 quart casserole dish). Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 40 minutes. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Sounds good, doesn't it? It was. The best thing was that I was able to put it all together Thursday night (thank you Grant for behaving) and refrigerate it over night. All I had to do when I got home last night was put it in the oven. 


Cooked spaghetti

Pulled rotisserie chicken

Mixing everything together


Grant and Mortimer watching Mommy cook.

Ready to go in the fridge for the night!
 
Cooking the mushrooms for Husband


Yum! Ready to eat.
 
You can't have pasta without garlic bread! Yes, I use the frozen kind. Don't judge.

Notes/Suggestions:
  • I use the Ronzoni Smart Taste pasta whenever I can find it. The box of thin spaghetti was 14.75 oz. so I only cooked half. It wasn't enough so I ended up cooking the rest of the box and used almost all of it. So I would suggest cooking the whole box and adding it little by little when you mix up the sauce. I think I used about 3/4 of the pasta that I cooked.
  • I once again used rotisserie chicken in place of the cooked chicken breasts. I will say it again: I love, love, love rotisserie chicken. SO convenient and tasty.
  • I don't like mushrooms and I used onion powder in place of the onions. That allowed me to leave out ALL the butter in the recipe. I cooked the mushrooms on the side for Nate to add to his meal because he loves them so that was the only butter used in the recipe. I did add a little bit of milk when I mixed up the ingredients to thin out the sauce.
  • I used reduced fat sour cream (Henri suggested that because she does it too). One 16 ounce container of sour cream is 2 cups. You don't need to bust out the measuring cup.
  • This a great recipe to make up ahead of time but you don't have to. It's also a great recipe to make if you are bringing a meal to a friend/family (new baby, illness, etc.).
  • I spell rotisserie wrong every time I type it. Thank you spell check.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...