Thursday, September 6, 2012

Labor Day Weekend Review

Saturday was great. Grant helped me run errands (having him with me while doing returns in a very crowded mall kept my temper in check) and then we rewarded ourselves with some yummy frozen custard.

It was downhill from there. After we got home he seemed fussy and lazy (very un-Grant). Husband took his temp and he had a slight fever. I figured he was teething or had a cold. However, since he was bitten by mosquitoes the previous week, Husband went into panic mode "OH MY GOD HE HAS WEST NILE!!!!"

Fast forward to bed time. My bedtime. Grant was sound asleep, Husband was snoring away in the bedroom (very loudly so I had planted myself on the couch), and I had just turned off my kindle and was ready for sleep too at 11:00 p.m. on the dot. Grant chose that moment to start screaming. Not the "I woke up and I want someone to come in here so I know it's ok to go back to sleep" cry but real screaming. I knew he hadn't fallen out of the crib because it wasn't preceded by a thud. I go in, pick him up and try to calm him. I stand him on the changing table to check him out, he reaches for me, gags and vomits all over. Then, of course, he wants a hug. Vomits again. Tries to hug it out. Vomits again. Husband comes in "OH MY GOD HE'S THROWING UP! WHAT DO WE DO?" I have said in the past, and he agrees, I handle this stuff much better than Husband.

So we get Grant calmed down, almost asleep even, after a change of clothes. We figure the worst is over but have to get the 103.3 temp down. We gave him Tylenol...and there we go again with vomiting and hugging. I smelled great. Husband: "WHAT DO WE DO IF HE CAN'T TAKE MEDICINE?" I'm not exaggerating his panic in the least, by the way. And there was a lot of it. I tell him to run a cool bath. A) It helps and B) Grant is wearing his last 3 meals. "ARE YOU SURE THAT'S WHAT TO DO?" Let me tell you, between taking care of Grant and dealing with my deranged husband, I felt like Supermom that night. But it all worked out and we all managed to find sleep around 2 a.m.

The rest of the weekend consisted of laying around in PJ's and watching more Thomas the Train  and Monster Jam than anyone should ever be subjected to. Slight relapse of fever but otherwise just fine.

I wouldn't let Grant play outside so he sat at the door and
watched Daddy mow the lawn. He loves the "tractor".

"Oh...someday I'll drive a tractor"
On Tuesday everyone went to their intended destinations. But when Husband went to pick up Grant in the afternoon they said he clearly wasn't feeling well. At one point having a crying spell that no one could calm and he eventually took a nap (at 4:30 which is very unusual). He came home and guess what? Threw up. So I kept him home yesterday for a doctor's appointment. She looked him over and when she got to his throat said "There's where that fever is coming from. His throat is really swollen. We'll do a strep test but he's really too young for that. It's probably viral." So we waited for the test results. She came back 15-20 minutes later with a weird look on her face. "OMG ITS WEST NILE Well, it's strep. It's strange, we don't generally see that in someone his age." So he's on antibiotics for a bit. Now we just need to keep our fingers crossed that we don't get it!

Oh yeah, we also converted the crib Monday:

Big guy bed!
But that's a whole other post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...