Meatball Sub Casserole
- 1 loaf Italian bread, cut into 1-inch thick slices
- 1 - 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 - 1lb package frozen meatballs, thawed
- 28 oz. jar pasta sauce
- 1 cup water
- Arrange bread slices in a single layer in an ungreased 13"x9" baking pan; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine cream cheese, mayonnaise, and seasonings; spread over bread slices. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese; set aside.
- Gently mix together meatballs, spaghetti sauce, and water; spoon over cheese. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Recipe Source: Gooseberry Patch
- This may come as a shock, but I didn't follow this recipe exactly. I added more mozzarella cheese. I also added some grated Parmesan cheese in the cream cheese/mayonnaise layer. Making an "Italian" dish without Parmesan cheese just seemed wrong.
- I left out the Italian seasonings. I can't stand oregano.
- I couldn't find a 1 lb bag of meatballs. The store where I was shopping only had a 2 lb bag. So I just used one of my bigger casserole pans and upped the amount of sauce to 2 jars.
- Since I made a bigger casserole, I baked it at 375 instead of 350.
- I left out the water...that seemed like a weird ingredient.
- After all my modifications...it turned out great! Great meal for any night of the week served with a good salad.