Monday, January 14, 2013

New Recipe: Pioneer Woman's Braised Beef Brisket

I actually made this recipe on January 1st. My very first new recipe of the new year! One of my Christmas presents was a cook book I've been wanting for a while. The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Recipes From An Accidental Country Girl (Want one? Amazon has it here). I had never opened this cook book but I follow her blog and I love her recipes. Surprise to me, looking through this cook book I noticed that not only does every recipe look awesome but there are step by step pictures with all of them. I love that!

So I picked her braised brisket recipe to start with. Silly of me, considering I rarely cook a beef recipe well. But this one turned out good! I was rather proud. Husband and I are big brisket lovers and it's hard to find really good brisket. I think Husband was a little disappointed because this isn't like BBQ brisket. He said it had more of a pot roast thing going on, but for me it was different than pot roast.

I'm not going to re-type Pioneer Woman's recipe here. You can find it on her blog HERE. She has lots of great step-by-step pictures and the whole recipe. She's much more detailed than I would be so it's best to get it there.


Out of the oven after 4.5-5 hours in the oven.
Sliced (after trimming the fat) and ready for dinner!


I served mine with twice baked potatoes and corn.
Notes/Suggestions:
  • I followed the recipe as exact as I could. PW said to use a 7-10 pound brisket but the biggest cut we found was 5.5 lbs. Next time I'll think farther ahead and get a custom cut.
  • When she says to marinate 24-48 hours, she means it. I ran out of time and mine only marinated about 20 hours. It wasn't tough by any means, but I definitely think it should have marinated longer. Next time I'll allow for more time.
  • GREAT FLAVOR! While it's obviously not a BBQ style, it has great flavor.
  • Reheated amazingly well. Both of took left overs for lunch and agreed that it reheated very well.
My favorite thing about PW's recipes is that she uses REAL ingredients. I got all the ingredients for this recipe at Walmart (except the meat) and they're the exact brands that PW used. I'm looking forward to making more stuff from my new cook book!

I unknowingly made another recipe from this cook book for our Father's Day cookout. Check out PW's The Best Chocolate Sheet Cake. Ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...