- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 Tbsp. yellow mustard
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 slices bacon, cooked & crumbled
- 4 cups (1/2 of a 32 oz. pkg) frozen tater tots
- Heat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Brown the meat with onions in a skillet and drain. Stir in ketchup and mustard; spoon into 9-inch square casserole dish (that you've sprayed with cooking spray).
- Top with cheese, bacon, and tater tots.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until casserole is heated through and the tater tots are golden brown.
Recipe Source: Kraft Recipes
- I'm not a fan of chunky onions in my food so when I can help it - such as in this recipe - I use onion powder.
- Shocker: I used more than one cup of cheese. I also used a few extra slices of bacon. Sue me.
- I was initially put off by mixing the ketchup & mustard into the meat. I have no idea why since that's pretty normal on a burger but it weirded me out. But you know what? It was good. And not an overwhelming ketchup/mustard flavor either.
- The recipe says to use frozen tater tots and that worked out fine. I didn't come across any uncooked potatoes (a turn-off for sure) but in the future I think I'll thaw them. I like my tater tots crispy and I would have overcooked the casserole to get them up to my crispy standards.
- Dishes like this make me think "What do we have with it?!" because I don't feel like its enough all by itself. So I served it with salad but some veggies would be good too.
- Easy weeknight or any night meal. It could even be made the night before so you can just pop it in the oven when you get home. Good stuff.