Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Mother's Day 2014

Mother's Day this year was low-key and pretty great. It sort of started on Thursday when Grant came home from school with the card he made for me and a little plant waiting to sprout (which actually had a little bud this morning!).

My first Mother's Day card that he wrote his name in!
My little plant...loaded with sequins :)
Friday afternoon, Husband came home with some pretty flowers that he and Grant had picked out for me. They're so pretty and they're still making my house smell so good!

I looooove stargazer lillies
Husband told me it was "my weekend" and that we could do whatever I wanted. That made me excited but I tried not to get carried away :) On Saturday I had planned to run errands, so we all went and stopped at the museum on the way. It's so fun to wander around there watching Grant get excited about everything. 

"Can I put my hand in his mouth??"
Sunday morning I woke up with Grant's face in my face and him telling me "Happy Mother's Day, Mama!" Never a bad way to wake up.
I also got one more present Grant made me at school :)
I've always wanted to do Mother's Day brunch (I'm relatively easy to please...especially if food is involved). So we had made plans to eat with Husband's mom and stepdad. We went to several places trying to find a place that didn't have a crazy wait time and in that time, Grant decided to tell us he felt like he had to throw up. He never did and ended up eating lunch but we went home after brunch anyway. 

With Grant feeling better, we went out a little later to look at picnic tables. I've been really one and with the weather getting nice it would be great to eat dinner outside, yes? But we didn't find one at the Lowes we went to. Husband ended up pulling in the driveway with one on Monday and we ate dinner outside last night!



It was a really great weekend and we all got to spend time together having fun, which is really the best way to spend Mother's Day.

Mother's Day is always a little bittersweet for me, obviously. This year was better than the last couple and I know it'll get easier. It's easy to get caught up in the hype of the day and feel like you should be made to feel special that day. I had a little reality check Friday evening when my sister called to let me know that a very good friend of ours got some bad news. A friend who has had some very tough times in years past and faced every one of them with a smile on her face and a fantastic attitude. It made me realize how petty and commercialized Mother's Day has become and how lost the real meaning is. No, I don't have my mom around anymore. And as I helped Grant spell "Gramma" to write on the envelope for my mother-in-law's card, it's easy to feel a little sadness that he's not writing "Nana" on one too. But the reality is that even without my parents, I still have a lot. I have so much to be thankful and grateful for that aren't things. "Things" don't matter. Though I had a wonderful day and weekend, I don't need Mother's Day to make me feel special. Grant does that for me every day in big and little ways. I'm healthy, my family is healthy, we have a roof over our heads and food to eat. What made it a wonderful day was not what I got but that I got to celebrate the day with my husband and wonderful little boy and his grandparents that love him so much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...