Wednesday, May 7, 2014

2014 Trike-a-thon

This past Friday, Grant got to once again participate in his school's trike-a-thon to benefit St. Jude (last year was his first time...you can check it out HERE). When I told Grant that we were signing up to do this again this year, he asked what it was. He got really excited when I told him that he was going to be able to ride his bike at school with his friends. When I explained that it raises money for kids who are sick, he looked confused and told me that none of his friends are sick. I explained that he doesn't know these kids but they're in a hospital and his school is raising money to help them. When I signed Grant up, I set his goal at $200 (since he raised that last year when his goal was $100). Every time we got a donation for Grant, I told him about it and how we were getting closer to his goal. He always got very excited about donations (probably because I was too) and he'd say "It's for riding my bike...and helping."  

The day of the trike-a-thon, I had volunteered to help out so I was there to watch all the classes. But when Grant's class came out I kinda just became Mama again for a while. The crazy Mama that runs around with the camera.

Headed out to the "track"

The trike-a-thon is held in the school parking lot. They rope it off and make a "track" so they can ride around in a loop. They all did really well!


So happy and excited!
I could hear him making "vroom vroom!" noises
every time he passed me.




Nothing like a family picture when I've spent the morning sweating!
But Grant was so happy and we were so proud of him :)
This year Grant raised $255 which, I found out through emails I received every time a donation was made, is enough to provide a family at St. Jude with a meal card for a week. So THANK YOU SO MUCH to everyone who made donations to help support Grant and the families at St. Jude! 

During one conversation that morning I found out that the school has been doing this for 10 years and has raised over $30,000 for St. Jude in that time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...