Friday, September 9, 2011

New Recipe: Crock Pot Chicken Taco Meat

Like my new look for fall? The weather is starting to show signs that fall is coming and fall is my favorite season. So I thought I'd do a little redecorating for my blog :)

Another crock pot recipe! LOVE my crock pot! We had a mexican themed luncheon at work recently and my friend, Henri, brought some yummy shredded chicken for us to make tacos with. I provided the mustaches:


 Ha! Ok, back to the chicken. I had a huge package of chicken in the freezer so over the weekend I decided we'd have chicken tacos on Monday (and Tuesday because we had a lot of leftovers).



Crock Pot Chicken Taco Meat

1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 package fajita seasoning or chicken taco seasoning
1 cup chicken broth
1 can Rotel tomatoes, undrained (I used mild)
Garlic powder to taste, optional

Instructions:
  1. Dissolve taco/fajita seasoning in chicken broth. Mix in Rotel if you're using it.
  2. Place chicken breasts in crock pot and pour chicken broth mixture over the chicken.
  3. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
  4. With two forks (or you can just use your hands) shred the chicken into bite size pieces.
  • To freeze: Place shredded meat into freezer bags with the juices. Press out all the air and seal.
Recipe adapted from: Food.com


Mmmm...
Notes/Suggestions:
  • I used twice the amount of chicken (because that's just what was in my freezer) so I doubled the amount of chicken broth. The other ingredients could be doubled as well but since I was planning for Grant to eat it as well, I didn't want it to be too spicy. (But he didn't have much interest in it.)
  • Check out the original recipe reviews for some great ideas on how to turn this into a soup. I'm sure it would be really yummy.
  • I'm told this freezes well so it would be great to double up on and freeze half for an easy weeknight meal.
  • I used a low sodium chicken broth. I always try to use a low sodium chicken broth but they usually still have a lot of sodium in them. Through a friend I found a VERY low sodium chicken broth. I found it at Harris Teeter (for anyone reading this that has one in their area) and the brand is called Pacific. It's an organic broth and I usually don't buy into all that organic hype but this only has 70 mg of sodium per serving compared to others that have close to 500 or more. It's a little more expensive but so worth it - and still tasty too.
  • Check out some other recipes from my friend Henri: Pork Tenderloin (also a crock pot recipe) and Chicken Tetrazzini (great make-ahead meal)
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...