Monday, January 16, 2012

New Recipe: Mini M&M Shortbread

This was my first newly tried recipe of the new year. I happened to have most of the stuff at home to make it which included some holiday baking supplies I bought but never used because I was sick most of December (update on that later - they're changing their minds on my "diagnosis"). I actually made this a couple weeks ago and I'm just late posting it. I picked an easy one because I was feeling kind of crappy again but I had butter softening on my counter and I just had to make something with it! So I found a chocolate chip shortbread recipe and subbed mini holiday M&Ms for the mini chocolate chips.


Mini M&M Shortbread
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup mini M&Ms
(or mini semisweet chocolate chips)
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
  2. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Add flour and salt; beat at low speed. Stir in M&Ms (or chocolate chips).
  3. Divide dough in half. Press each half into ungreased 8-inch round cake pans.
  4. Bake 12 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Score shortbread with sharp knife, taking care not to cut completely through shortbread. Make 8 wedges per pan.
  5. Let pans stand on wire racks 10 minutes. Invert shortbread onto wire racks; cool completely. Break into triangles.                   Makes 16 cookies
Recipe source/adapted from: Best Loved Cookies cookbook

Notes/Suggestions:
  • Watch your cooking time! I ended up letting them go the full 12 minutes and in my oven it was just a touch too long and I thought the cookies were a little too crunchy (even for shortbread). Husband, who ate the majority of them, had no complaints however.
  • The candy coating on the M&Ms made it a little hard to keep the dough together at first but you can make it work. And the results are yummy!
  • Really quick recipe. Definitely what I needed to squash my craving to bake but I didn't need a ton of motivation and energy.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...