Thursday, May 10, 2012

New Recipe: Chocolate Chip Scones

I actually made this recipe a while ago - two weeks ago maybe? - and I'm just incredibly late posting about it. Grant's been sick and, because of my medications, I pick up whatever he gets in about 3.5 seconds. And now it takes me twice as long to get rid of it. But anyway, I finally have a few moments that I actually feel like typing this up so here's a great Chocolate Chip Scone recipe for you!

Mmmmm...
Chocolate Chip Scones
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1 stick real butter, cut into chunks
  • 1 cup mini chocolate chips
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1) Prep a cookie sheet with parchment paper and preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and brown sugar. Then cut in the butter using a pastry blender (or a couple knives if you don't have a pastry blender) until the mixture is crumbly. Then add the chocolate chips to the mixture. Beat the egg slightly in a separate bowl, then add the egg to your mixture. Add the buttermilk, vanilla, and almond extract and mix until it's all just binding together.

2) Sprinkle flour on your counter top. Place dough on top and knead a few times (5 or 6 times). Pat into a round shape (like a really big thick pancake). Cut into 8 pie shaped pieces. Place on prepared cookie sheet, brush tops lightly with milk and bake at 425 degrees for 13-15 minutes. Cool for a couple minutes on the pan then move them to a wire rack.

Recipe Source: Northern Cottage



I have said before that I do not trust anything cake-like that does not have some kind of frosting. So I added a simple powdered sugar glaze (I added cocoa powder for chocolate flavor) to my scones.



The scones did not go unnoticed by the curious tiny human that
is constantly running through my kitchen.

Notes/Suggestions:
  • I have little to no tolerance for the flavor of almond extract so I used a full teaspoon of vanilla in place of the 1/2 vanilla 1/2 almond. Having tasted it this way I will continue to make them without the almond extract.
  • Husband LOVED these. I've made other kinds of scones before and after tasting them Husband had declared that scones are so dry that they must have been invented by coffee shops so you keep buying their coffee to keep from choking on the scones. But he tasted these and said they're "way better than all those other kinds you've made". I think he liked all the chocolate chips :)
  • Watch your baking time because mine got a little burned on the bottom. However, that didn't stop me from enjoying them for a couple days as my 3:00 snack.
  • If you're a scone lover, check out the recipe for Brown Sugar Pecan Scones that I made last year. I really enjoyed those...yum!
Anybody out there try some new recipes lately? Any favorite scone recipes you want to share?

1 comment:

I love comments :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...