Sunday, May 1, 2011

Royally Obsessed (And a New Recipe)

All right, I admit it. I've been anticipating the Royal Wedding for at least a month now. I even downloaded the Royal Wedding App for my phone (it was free, I definitely wouldn't have paid for it). Mostly, I wanted to see what Kate's dress looked like - that's always my favorite part of a wedding - since it was "the secret" of the wedding. And it did not disappoint. I'll admit that it didn't look anything like what I thought it would but I thought it was gorgeous. But let's face it, she could have walked down the aisle in a potato sack and she would have looked gorgeous.

I'm fascinated with the Royal Family. I don't think it's out of any desire to be a princess or anything silly like that. After seeing just how much attention this got, especially over the last month, I can say for certain it is not a life I would want. But, nonetheless, it is really interesting to watch and read about. I recorded roughly 7 hours of Royal Wedding coverage and as of this moment have only been able to watch 2 1/2 hours of it. I'm hoping to be able to watch the rest of it but if we need room in the DVR queue...well, it'll have to go :(

So you can't help but notice how much those people love their Queen. And also how much those people love hats! Husband, being very fashion forward, commented on one rather large headdress saying "What's that bitch doing out in public with that on? If I was sitting next to her I'd say WTF are you wearing?? Get that thing out of my way." And I wonder how badly the TV people wanted to point out that you can't help but feel sorry for Kate's sister, Pippa. Mostly because her name is Pippa but also because no matter what she does - ever - she's never going to do anything at all that compares to this. But seriously, how cute are William & Kate? I can't wait to watch more of what I recorded.

So, in honor of the Royal Wedding, I decided to try a new recipe. Scones! Love scones. These are Brown Sugar-Pecan Scones and the recipe can be found HERE . I haven't had one yet, but I had a bite of Husband's and I thought it was so yummy! I plan to have one in the morning with my coffee...if I can wait that long.


There is a stick of cubed butter that is supposed to be there as well, but
it was in the fridge keeping cold and I forgot it for the picture. Oops.

There it is! Being added to the dry ingredients.

You're supposed to blend it together with a pastry blender. I don't
 have one. So I just use a fork and it seems to work well.

It's supposed to look like "small peas" but I don't think it does. But since
there were no more chunks of butter I called it "blended".

Adding the cream and toasted pecans to the party.

Mix until "just moistened". I always feel like I over-mix.

You pour it out onto a sheet of wax paper and pat into a 7 inch circle.

Cut into 8 wedges and place on a greased baking sheet. Brush tops with remaining
cream (and if you're like me then you'll add a sprinkle of sugar).

Bake until golden brown...YUM!

I do not trust cake or anything cake-like without some sort of frosting. So
I made up a quick cinnamon sugar glaze to go on top.

Yum! I can't wait to eat one.

Notes/Suggestions:
  • I used 3/4 cup toasted pecans instead of a 1/2 cup. The 1/2 cup just didn't seem like enough.
  • I had to use heavy whipping cream (instead of whipping cream) because it's what the store had. It seems to have worked just fine.
  • I'm a big fan of glaze on things like this so I just made a simple powdered sugar glaze and added some cinnamon to it. LOVE cinnamon.
  • Great for a brunch or "tea party"
Enjoy! (And sorry for the super long post.)



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...