Tuesday, April 30, 2013

New Recipe: Butter Dip Biscuits

I have tried several new recipes lately but I haven't been documenting them like was I before. This one was spontaneous and turned out great so I decided to take pictures and blog about it. We were grilling pork chops and I can't remember what our side dish was - baked potatoes maybe - and I've been eyeing this biscuit recipe for a while so I thought I'd give it a try. 


There is one missing because I took the picture after
removing one to cool off for Grant.
Butter Dip Biscuits

Ingredients:
  • 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 4 tsp. granulated sugar
  • 4 tsp. baking powder
  • 2 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1 3/4 cups buttermilk 
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray 8-inch square baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. In a microwave safe bowl (or the dish you'll be using for the biscuits) melt the stick of butter in the microwave.
  2. In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Then pour in the buttermilk. Stir until a loose dough forms, batter will be a bit sticky. 
  3. Press the dough into the prepared baking dish, on top of the melted butter (its easiest to use your hands). Take a knife and cut the dough into 9 squares before baking.
  4. Bake for about 20-25 minutes, rotating dish once during baking. If you notice that some of the butter that is coming up to the top is getting brown, you can take a paper towel and dab around the edges. Oven do vary, but basically biscuits should be golden brown on top and spring back to the touch.
Recipe Source: The Country CooK



Notes/Suggestions:
  • Brandie at The Country Cook said to use unsalted butter for these biscuits but I don't use enough to justify that purchase. So I used salted butter and cut down on her amount of salt but I didn't cut it out completely.
  • I felt like 4 tsp of sugar was too much so I cut it back just a bit and that was a bad idea. The biscuits were good but tasted, to me, like they were missing just a little something and I'm sure it was that little bit of sugar I cut out.
  • I am the type of person that always puts something on biscuits. But I ate one and a half of these just plain because they were so good. Grant ate one and the other half of my second one (a bread lover like his Mama) and husband managed to put down two as well. They were well recieved all around. We were all big fans of the awesome crispiness of the outside. 
  • These biscuits are soooo easy and really good. They went great with dinner and would go well with a good breakfast or brunch. They are a little spongier than a traditional biscuit but still really good.
  • Also from The Country Cook, this fun marshmallow recipe HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...