Wednesday, June 22, 2011

New Recipe: Grilled Buttermilk Chicken

For our Father's Day cookout, I decided to try out a chicken recipe that I've had my eye on for a few weeks now. I got the recipe from myrecipes.com and it's called Grilled Buttermilk Chicken (click it for the recipe). It was so good and so simple to make, I'm so glad I tried it! Basically you make a brine with all the ingredients. Trim up your chicken and let it soak in the brine for a day (4 hours is the least amount of soaking time recommended). When you're ready to cook it take the chicken out of the brine, wipe it off and throw it on the grill! Super easy.

Ingredients


Chicken soaking in the brine. I forgot to take a picture before
I put the plastic wrap on my bowl. Oops.

Voila! Yummy Grilled Buttermilk Chicken! (I know it looks like
your run-of-the-mill grilled chicken but it doesn't taste like it!)
Notes/Suggestions:
  • The recipe calls for chicken thighs and drumsticks but I used a large package of boneless skinless chicken breasts in an attempt to be healthier. They were delicious. I'm sure if you decide to use the thighs and drumsticks they would be good too. But I think I'll continue to make it with the chicken breasts.
  • FYI: The chicken breasts were super thick so I had to cut them in half so they'd be thinner and not take so long to cook. Plus it cuts out the possibility of cutting into it and realizing it hasn't cooked all the way through. Yuck.
  • The recipe only says "buttermilk" so I used non-fat buttermilk. I'm not sure if there are other kinds of buttermilk but I thought the non-fat worked great.
  • I had to use garlic powder in place of fresh garlic because Husband threw out my garlic and I was not about to trek out to the grocery store. It tasted good but I look forward to using fresh garlic next time.
  • Leftovers are so good (can you say yummy lunch?) and the chicken even tastes good cold. It would be good for a picnic if you cook it ahead of time.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. That chicken sounds good. I like the idea of using the skinless/boneless breasts instead of the thighs. I wanted to invite you to come over and share your recipe at These Chicks Cooked Recipe Spotlight today. Have a great day :)
    Katie

    ReplyDelete

I love comments :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...