Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Recipe: Praline Bundt Cake

So, one of my goals for 2011 is to try at least two new recipes each month. If I try more then Yay! but if not...hey, I've got a baby that needs attention. So I've already had the opportunity to try a new recipe! It's one I've had my eye on but, for some reason, just haven't made it yet. It's Praline Bundt Cake from the December 2007 issue of Southern Living. It's a very time-consuming cake but it looked so delicious I had to try it.

The garnish on the cake are sugared pecans. YUM! I have a recipe for these but in my attempt to follow the recipe exactly I made the ones in the recipe. They got a little burned. That's what I get for following directions!

Then I mixed up and baked the cake:


I was encouraged by the results! It wasn't burned.
Usually I burn anything in a bundt pan.

When it had finally cooled it was retardedly late so I went to bed. I do too much baking at night!


Nothing like some morning motivation to make some icing!
So, I got up early this morning to make the icing/glaze. Not too early...I slept past my alarm - again. My excuse will be that husband was snoring again and I couldn't go right to sleep last night. FYI: Breathe right strips only work for people who snore through their nose...they have yet to invent something for mouth-snorers.


Making the glaze...YUM!
And here is the finished product:


Which was evidently tasty:




Even I ate it...and I plan to eat more tomorrow. Most people who know me know that when I bake I usually don't want to eat it afterward. There was only one thing I baked that I really enjoyed eating...but there is another one the list! And there isn't even chocolate in this!

In case you didn't notice, I put the link to the recipe above which I will try to do any time I put up a post about a recipe attempt.

Notes/Suggestions:
  • The pecans burned even though I followed the recipe. In the future, I will try to cook them at a lower temp (perhaps 325 instead of 350?) and probably stir them sooner than the recipe called for.
  • The recipe said to bake the cake for 1 hour and 15 minutes but it only took an hour in my oven.
  • With most cake recipes I have to double the icing/frosting/glaze. Not this one! There was plenty of icing with just one batch (and I even had to throw out a little bit).
This was a great new recipe. Totally worth the time and effort and I can't wait to make it again...or at the very least to enjoy some leftovers with my coffee tomorrow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...