Monday, March 7, 2011

Trying New Things

Hello, my name is Tara and I am a recovering picky eater. Things used to be a lot worse than they are now. 10 years ago I wouldn't even eat salad unless those poor lettuce leaves were drowning in a sea of blue cheese dressing (and cheese, olives, bacon bits, croutons, etc.). It shouldn't surprise you to know that I was a...plump...child. If you call a 200 pound 12 year old "plump". And I was a figure skater. You can picture it, can't you? I made a deal with myself that I would try to eat the things I want Grant to eat. I am the former non-salad eating, non-fish eating, bring on the fried food new mom who wants her baby to eat at least some healthy foods.

So today I tried yogurt. It was an honest attempt at eating yogurt (as compared to my other half-hearted attempts). Orange Creme Pie flavored light nonfat yogurt. "It tastes like an orange cream popsicle" Husband said. Liar liar pants on fire. It wasn't terrible and I did manage to finish it but it did not taste like an orange cream popsicle. The first few bites made my mouth feel cottony which caused me to believe that my taste buds were breaking down and dying. Or maybe they're just not used to healthy food. It also had a serious fake sugar after taste which brought me to the logical conclusion that this healthy yogurt could give me cancer (if that whole fake sugar causes cancer thing is to be believed).

It will be my one and only time eating that particular brand and flavor of yogurt unless I'm starving and desperate. I did, however, buy some other kinds at the grocery store to try. I figure if I can finish a container of less than desirable yogurt, then I can at least try some other brands. They aren't sugar free (one may not even be non-fat) but, hey, baby steps. I am trying to better my eating habits...slowly. That way I won't feel so guilty when I'm trying to force Grant to eat things he'd rather not. But he will someday know the joys of one of my favorite comfort foods - a grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup. A kid's gotta live!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...